Wednesday 6 February 2008

Carbon Faster

Apologies for the gap in writing there. My laptop is banjaxxed, so I have to use my Windows (spit) '98 desktop, with its 1kb per hour modem and frequent crashes and I am not happy about this so I tend not to bother. Also the library computer won't let me update my blog. So I apologise, but it looks like blogging could be intermittent for a while until I get my computer problems sorted.

However. Today is Ash Wednesday, and therefore the start of Lent. I don't often give things up for Lent, mainly because it was never really part of the tradition I was brought up in, but over the past few years I've come to value the idea of preparing for Easter, so I have either given something up, or taken something up, or generally done something a bit differently. This year it all sneaked up on me a bit (Pancake day in the first week of February?!); I know they say Spring gets earlier every year, but surely it's not dragging Easter with it? That can't happen, can it?

So, this year I'm going to do the Carbon Fast which was the idea of the Bishop of Liverpool and is being promoted by TearFund, and you're all coming with me, for I shall update you every day on how it is going. I've already spotted several days when I can't do the thing they suggest (like changing electricity suppliers, for example), so I have decided that on those days I shall have to be creative and find a way to do something else.

I really like the Carbon Fast idea, 'cos it highlights a hugely important issue, it's fun, it doesn't involve me giving up chocolate, and it will make a real difference.

If you'd like to sign up to do it, info is here. You can even add yourself to a map, for those of you who want to be famous.

No comments: