Friday 3 February 2012

On plurals

Here's a question which I have been considering for at least 3 minutes: is the plural of 'roof' still 'rooves'?

I ask because it strikes me that I haven't heard it used in a while, and maybe it's one of those things that everyone else has moved on from. On the other hand, I'm sure I've seen 'roofs' several times. I don't want to go throwing 'rooves' into conversation and end up being derided as a terrible fool.

In fact, I note autocorrect is fine with 'roofs', but has underlined 'rooves'. Is it possible that the plural was always 'roofs', and I've picked it up wrong and been living in error for 30 years?

Your help us appreciated.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Well I hate to be the one to break it to you but reference.com says "The plural form of roof is roofs. As it may sound kind of odd, the word rooves is often thought to be the plural form, when it's actually not."
Now I am happy to believe that this is an ugly Americanism and that the Queen will decree rooves correct, but ....