Monday 14 January 2008

Incompetent Bandits: A Roundup

No builders on Friday, so my dad's ultimatum has come into effect, and I am barred from letting them in. I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to stop them, and frankly, I'm not sure I'm inclined to (I mean, if they're standing there with a shower screen, it might just be too tempting).

I was talking to some people in work the other day, and musing on the vast range of bandits we (I say 'we', I mean my dad) have managed to hire over the years.

I maintain that the present (although now recent past) lot have been the worst: not that there was anything wrong with the quality of their work (which was fine - although when you take 4 months to fit a bathroom, you'd expect it to be pretty damn good), but rather their reluctance to turn up and do anything in the first place, even when they had promised.

Prior to that, there were the Q&B guys, and we all know that they weren't much better. The difference there was that they at least simply disappeared for long periods of time, so one could forget about them and only get in touch when one felt particularly strong.

Before that (and this was in the days before WhyNotSmile, which is why you've never heard of it) we got new windows in. The guy who did this (a friend of my dad's best mate, which is where these people always come from) was very nice and came when he said he would and did a good job and everything. Then about a month later I heard on the radio that he'd been arrested and charged with paramilitary activity. He's now in jail, which seems rather to have invalidated my warranty.

No comments: