Monday 4 June 2007

Materialism and the demise of all we have known

On Friday my iPod arrived (the one I won). On Saturday I figured out how to put songs on it. On Sunday I realised I was addicted. On Monday I discovered that the same has happened to The Soapbox.

What is the world coming to?

I own a gadget. And what's more, it's a gadget that no one else has owned before me; it is possibly the first actually brand-new thing I have owned since my roly-poly chime ball when I was 6 months old. I didn't pay for it, of course, so that's one point in my favour, and nor did I actually ask for it - I won it and can therefore be said to have had next to no choice in the matter. I'm still a few steps away from being sucked into a consumerist pit and seeing my soul sacrificed on the altar of materialism.

But I always thought The Soapbox knew better. I thought he was stronger. When all else fails, I thought, old Soapy will still be standing strong. But no.

Hope is fading fast.

1 comment:

soapbox said...

just like with mobile phones my 'pragmatism' and weakness for technology won out...
Still we held out pretty well for this long!