Saturday 1 November 2008

In Which It Is Explained That WhyNotSmile Is As Close To The Trinity As Any Blog Can Be

Thanks to (perhaps a tad unexpectedly) QuestionMonkey, I have realised that WhyNotSmile is a rather handy guide to explaining everyone's favourite theological conundrum, the Trinity.

Consider. The Trinity (for those who are not at all sure what we're talking about) is the idea that God is Three in One and One in Three; in other words, there is one God, but he has three 'persons': the Father (also generally referred to as 'God'), the Son (Jesus, the 'Word of God'), and the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost, or 'the Counsellor'); these 3, however, are all very much God in their own right. This is why, in Genesis, God says 'Let us make man in our own image' and not 'Let me make man in my own image'.

And this is rather like WhyNotSmile. WhyNotSmile has 3 parts: the blog (and you're always glad you came), the online actual-me presence (Facebook etc.), and actual me (in real life, going on holiday and so on). And yet, WhyNotSmile is all one person (I know it is hard to conceive of such a multi-faceted personality of such great depth belonging to just one individual, but it's true.

And hence we see that WhyNotSmile is rather like the Trinity, and I think we should tell Richard Dawkins, because he has been most perplexed about this.

No comments: