Tuesday 3 July 2007

Tired and lacking in profundity

Well, I haven't had a lot to say for myself for a week or so, and that upsets me, for I fear I am becoming dull and boring. The best explanation is that I have been tired and overworked. I did have some thoughts that were the start of blog posts, but they just didn't really go anywhere.

It's not all doom and gloom though; there is light at the end of the tunnel, for I have started re-reading The God Delusion. The more I read it, the more I am convinced that in 50 years' time Dawkins will either be known as the greatest intellectual charlatan that ever lived, or the most famous atheist to convert to theism. I was laughing out loud at parts of it; it is so poorly researched and argued that it is actually comical... or would be, if people didn't take it so seriously. At other bits I got really angry; Dawkins is a very intelligent man, and he must know that he's misleading people here; he must know that he hasn't bothered researching anything and that his arguments are undeveloped and contradictory. Surely?!

So I have taken to keeping a pencil by my side as I read, and marking all the untrue, out of context, exaggerated, irrelevant and logically nonsensical bits in the margin. The margin is quite full. This is quite fun; it provides a way to vent my frustration with the whole load of nonsense, without throwing it out the window (and possibly hitting someone on the head; I am especially wary of the new neighbour after Do Zavtra went to visit her and got her right in the middle of a shower. Good start.). In the meantime, there's a brilliant review here.

In other non-news, there has still been no contact from Q&B regarding the cupboard door. So I have decided to write to them and demand answers (which brings me to a grammar question: is it OK to start a sentence with 'So' these days? And what about 'But' and 'Because'? lilytodd, can you help?).

You see, I think writing may be more effective than phoning, for several reasons:
1. I'm bad at talking on the phone, but good at writing letters (I once managed to get a refund from EasyJet that I wasn't really entitled to - if you've ever even tried to get a refund from EasyJet that you WERE entitled to, you'll know how impressive this is).
2. On the phone there is no time to go into the full story, but in a letter I can explain it all. Maybe I'll send them a link to my blog post. I think the full story makes quite an impression.
3. They can't keep fobbing me off to different departments while I sit on hold. They can send the letter round, but I don't really care what they do with it as long as they answer it.

I will of course keep you posted.

In another development, Me In My Small Corner tells me that I can order the jeans from Next to come to the store (sorry, store?! - what is this, Kentucky?), shop, without paying postage and packing, and then I can take them back if they don't fit or I don't like them. So this is good.

No comments: